About MN LEMA
SERVICES AND PROGRAMS PROVIDED BY THE MINNESOTA LAW ENFORCEMENT MEMORIAL ASSOCIATION (LEMA)
- Preservation and maintenance of the law enforcement state memorial monument on the capitol grounds in St. Paul.
- Management and supervision of a 35 member volunteer state-wide honor guard which is involved in every fallen officer's funeral. Full honors are given which are similar to the U.S. Military. LEMA plays a critical role in paying last respects to an officer killed in the line of duty.
- Counseling for family members following the death of an officer.
- Financial assistance for immediate needs of the family.
- Meet with the surviving family to assist in identifying and collecting all federal, state and local benefits for surviving family members of the officer.
- Joint program with the National Financial Planning Association (Minnesota Chapter) which will assist recent survivors in establishing a monthly budget and the development of savings and investment plans. This is a pro-bono service.
- Conducting an Ecumenical church service in May which honors the memory of all fallen officers.
- Managing and conducting services on National Law Enforcement Memorial Day (May 15) at the Minnesota Law Enforcement Memorial Monument on the state capitol grounds in St. Paul.
- Management of a college scholarship program for survivors of fallen officers.
- Conducting family survivor events during the year which provides survivors an opportunity to relate to each other and establish important contacts.
- Conduct an annual memorial golf tournament which provides an opportunity for a much needed outlet for the "law enforcement family" (fellow officers) to share good times together and cherish the memories of their fallen comrades. It brings together old and new friends from across the state.
- Reach out to young children of fallen officers at Christmas time by shopping for a gift in memory of their fallen parent.
- Distribution of blue ribbon wreaths to families of fallen officers at Christmas time in remembrance of their sacrifice.
- Assisting law enforcement agencies in developing policies in the handling of line of duty deaths.
- Conducting an honor guard camp which trains officers from throughout the United States in order that their departments can properly develop honor guard units and manage fallen officer funerals.
- Joint program with the Minnesota Bar Association to provide free wills to all current officers and immediate family members of survivors.
Minnesota Law Enforcement Memorial Association (LEMA) Non-Discrimination Statement
"The Minnesota Law Enforcement Memorial Association (LEMA) prohibits discrimination in sponsorship, volunteerism, membership, educational programs, and activities on the basis of race, national origin, color, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, associational preference, or any other legally protected status."
For additional information contact LEMA at 763-542-8645.
LEMA Year in Review
LEMA Year in Review