Deputy Michael William Morrow

End of Watch : August 24, 1991

Pine County Sheriff's Office

Pine County Sheriff's Office
Died August 24, 1991

On Saturday, August 24, at 2:27 a.m., Deputy Michael Morrow radioed in a traffic stop at County Road 14 west of Interstate 35. He reported he was stopping a white Chevrolet Citation and provided the license plate. Dispatch tried unsuccessfully to contact him for fifteen minutes, so Deputy Robert Veitch was sent to investigate. He found Morrow's squad with the lights flashing and Deputy Morrow lying unconscious behind the vehicle on the shoulder of the road with severe head wounds. There was a lot of glass on the road, his flashlight was missing and his baton was found lying in the road at the front of the vehicle with blood on it. His radar unit had clocked a vehicle at 106 MPH.

Morrow was taken to Rush City Hospital where he died at 5:05 a.m. His cause of death was listed as a skull fracture. He had been beaten with his own flashlight.

At 7:00 a.m., the suspect vehicle was located in a ditch at County Road 14 and 127, four miles from the scene. The left window was broken out and the flashlight was found in the back seat.

After going in the ditch, the suspect, Scott Lange, 25, had contacted Mike Nowling to help him get the car out of the ditch. Lange told Nowling he had been drinking at a bar and stated he had beaten a police officer severely and had punched out his own car window. Nowling later told Mark Campbell, who was interviewed by police, that Lange told him Morrow struck him with a flashlight when he tried to return to his vehicle to get his keys. Lange took the flashlight from Morrow and "beat the hell out of him." He also told his father, Gary Lange Sr., that he punched Morrow two times with his fists because the officer would not let him get his keys out of his car.

At 11:00 a.m., Lange was arrested at his sister's home. He attempted to flee, but was apprehended. He was charged with second-degree murder. He is serving his sentence at Moose Lake Correctional Facility. His release date is February 20th, 2006.

Deputy Morrow had been a part time deputy since 1980. He was 53 years old. He was survived by his wife, Beatrice, two children, Elizabeth and Michael Jr., and five grandchildren. His funeral was held on Wednesday, August 28th, at the Pine City High School Gym. His badge, 425, was retired.

Sourced from: The book "We Will Remember"
With permission from Lisa Lovering, Author and Board of Director
MN Law Enforcement Memorial Association
L.E.M.A. 2009

Henry Burton CarlsonJerome Victor Haaf